Printmaking is a medium that many artists experiment with. My first acquaintance with this method was during the first term of the Subject Module, with the Concretopia project. At that project, I learned to use the digital method of printmaking and expose photocopies onto screens, screen-printing. As I was already introduced to the screen-printing method I wanted to further develop my novice skills. Tom, the print workshop leader, suggested a similar method but different to the one I had used.
On a specific transparent membrane, I began to develop some drawings, my drawings I could then expose to the screens and result with a handmade outcome that I preferred for the specific project instead of the digital one. My first screen was a bit damaged, thus my outcome involved parts from previously exposed drawings and ambiguous parts. With the specific screen, most of them were happy accidents that I loved.
I then needed to make a new screen and I chose to change my drawing to a new bigger one. In this one, my first try, one more happy accident, gifted me with the idea of recurrence. The slight change of the position of the paper highlighted the three-dimensional effect of my shapes making them appear as moving objects.
Some trials with this screen gave me extremely nice results and then I decided that I also wanted to exhibit some of my prints on paper. The screenprinting was from the start the method that I wanted to use for printing on my oblong wooden board. All of my screens were tests so that I could end up with the best outcome when the board would be ready to be printed. Unexpected, the prints on paper themselves were art pieces that I could use for exhibiting.
A third screen that I never eventually used for exhibiting, was a more of a portrait one, a combination of my abstract shapes and the body structure. During this attempt, I noticed that all of my outcomes had a small accidental dot of paint on the right down side of my paper. I like this part and I prefer the ones that have the dot.
In regard to my next two screens, solid shapes and similar abstract shapes are depicted. I again used the same method that I was introduced to the Corectopia project and combined my shapes with different coloured shapes on top, highlighting some specific parts presenting movement.
I created the last and bigger screen on the exact size of the oblong wooden board, measured my shapes and build the drawing specifically for the background that I had created. The entire proses of printmaking equipped me with more skills on screen-printing and my final outcome delighted me.